Saturday, May 24, 2008

FILM: Paltrow is evil in "King Lear"


The last time a goody goody girl played a bitch in a period piece (Natalie Portman in The Other Boleyn Girl) nobody went to go watch. Maybe it was because it was even harder to accept that Scarlett Johansson was the kind-hearted sister. Either way, notorious girls-next-door, like Reese Witherspoon and Rachel McAdams, have succeeded in being mean girls (pun intended) before. But can you buy Gwyneth Paltrow as the evil daughter of King Lear in the next adapatation of the book opposite Keira Knightley, who'll play her sweet young sister?

The story itself follows a king, played by Anthony Hopkins, "who decides to divide his kingdom between his three daughters, based on how well they declare their love for him." There will be competitive quarrels and nefarious behaviour--not to mention epic battles. Now, I'm not knocking Paltrow. I was never too impressed by her in the past (Shakespeare in Love, Emma, Talented Mr. Ripley) but I loved her in Iron Man and look forward to being entertained by her in the future. I just don't think I can immerse myself in a story if I'm too preoccupied with the celebrity persona of the actor when it comes to them playing against type.

Casting hasn't ended. They're still searching for someone to play the eldest daugther. Hopefully the actress will balance out the two extremes. I was thinking Cate Blanchett. Who would you suggest?


No comments:

Post a Comment