Wednesday, February 18, 2009

MUSIC: Top 50 Global Best Selling Albums

Prefixmag.com posted a list of the Top 50 Global Best Selling Albums and there are a few surprises. Here are the top 20:

1. Coldplay: Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends

2. AC/DC: Black Ice

3. Various Artists: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack
[The #1 Film Soundtrack! I totally get that. The theatrics of it can be addicting.]

4. Duffy: Rockferry
[Wow! I can't believe Adele beat her out for Best New Artist at the Grammy's if it is a worldwide consensus that she's the #1 female artist of the year. Oh well, at least she won Best Pop Vocal Album.]

5. Metallica: Death Magnetic

6. Leona Lewis: Spirit
[Hmm, maybe if she had better material she would've out-ranked Duffy hands-down.]

7. Amy Winehouse: Back to Black

8. Various Artists: High School Musical 3: Senior Year

9. Lil Wayne: Tha Carter III

10. Rihanna: Good Girl Gone Bad

11. Madonna: Hard Candy

12. Beyonce: I Am...Sasha Fierce

13. P!ink: Funhouse

14. Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy

15: Britney Spears: Circus

16. Jack Johnson: Sleep Through The Static

17. Il Divo: The Promise
[That's impressive for their genre.]

18. Taylor Swift: Fearless
[Miley was so close to outranking her. She actually came in at #23. But I think Taylor deserves it. It was definitely her year. She even came in again at #45 with her self-titled album.]

19. Jonas Brothers: A Little Bit Longer
[It still blows my mind every time someone nominates them for Breakout Artist of the Year. I feel like they've been around for so long, they don't even qualify. But I guess when you've been inundated with news about them, the days seem like years. lol They deserve it though, it was an incredibly mature sound considering their fanbase. They actually appear on the charts twice--at #39 with Jonas Brothers.]

20. Various Artists: Camp Rock OST
[See what I mean, inundated. Disney succeeded in creating yet another teen musical cash-cow.]

...and here are few more notables:

30. T.I.: Paper Trail
[Wow! I wonder how Kanye feels about getting outdone by T.I...and I wonder if he'd attribute his success to the fact that he's in prison now.]

31. Kanye West: 808's & Heartbreak

32. Michael Jackson: Thriller (25th Anniversary Edition)
[I can't believe this actually appeared in the top 50. I love me some Michael, but they're re-releases. You could create your own Greatest Hits on iTunes.]

33. Katy Perry: One of The Boys
[This is pretty huge for Katy, but I just wonder if her sophomore album will be able to live up to the hype.]

35. Ne-Yo: Year of The Gentleman
[He's come a long way--made a name for himself that isn't necessarily synonymous with "Usher-clone."]

40. Seal: Soul
[I had no idea he was so popular.]

41. Sugarland: Love On The Inside
[It's only recently that I noticed this Country Rock band. I could've sworn everyone preferred Rascal Flatts, and that the new group Lady Antebellum was skyrocketing to the top.]

44. Dido: Safe Trip Home
[She first brokeout back in 2000 after singing the haunting chorus on Eminem's "Stan" track, and has steadily been climbing back to stardom with her third album.]

46. Chris Brown: Exclusive
[I would've thought he'd place hire, but I guess I imagined his fanbase to be as large as his public persona.]

47. Twilight: Twilight OST
[I'm not even a little surprised. I mean, if Catherine Hardwicke should feel the need to capitalize off of a director's journal--that will most likely blame the studio for all of the film's inadequacies--it's pretty obvious anything connected to the film will sell.]

48. Jason Mraz: We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things
[He totally deserves a higher ranking. He's been flying under the commercial radar for too long. I was a major fan of "I'm Yours" way before he released it on his album and his tracks deserve more recognition.]

49. OneRepublic: Dreaming Out Loud
[There isn't a season of TV that hasn't featured one of their songs, so it's no surprise music lovers have built their album up to top 50 status.

Are there any albums you'd add to the list?
I'd seriously recommend Estelle's Shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment