Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Wrap-Up: Best Moments & Best Dressed

BEST MOMENTS
I was truly pleased that Penelope Cruz won for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and overjoyed that Slumdog Millionaire practically took every award home--most importantly Best Picture and Best Director. I was even excited that Milk's screenwriter Dustin Lance Black won because it was the only trailer of the year that made me cry on words alone. And, of course, I'm happy Heath Ledger was acknowledged for his tremendous work. I just secretly wished his daughter would actually go up there and accept it on his behalf. Is that nutty of me? Kate Winslet's speech was the best though--even though Sean Penn and Lance Black's speeches were pretty poignant--because of the part in the beginning when she told her dad to whistle so she could see him and he did it almost instantly.

When Twilight's Robert Pattinson waltzed out with Mamma Mia's Amanda Seyfried, I immediately thought, what is he doing there? Then as I heard their introduction of 2008's romantic plots, from an undead romance to a girl searching for her father among three bachelors, I realized it wasn't too far-fetched for him to be there. However, he was still creepy as ever. lol My second double take involving him was when there was a close-up of Mickey Rourke and he was sitting behind him. It was almost like a split screen--the way Rourke was in the foreground of the shot--I hope that doesn't foreshadow Pattinson's future. And the last double take of the night actually happened this morning when I saw an Oscar party photo of Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron chatting up Pattinson. He seemed more interested in talking to Efron despite the fact that Hudgens was rumored to be joining the Twilight sequel's cast, but that still doesn't make it any less bizarre. I mean, were they exchanging trade secrets? I know for a fact that Pattinson didn't watch High School Muscial, so what could they possibly be talking about?

Tina Fey and Steve Martin's presentation was pretty funny. I liked how the scene was set with a voice over and Martin sort of played the straight-man. But I loved it even more that when her name was announced, she got an even louder applause than he did. If I were her, I would've fainted--a room full of award-winning actors just exploded in applause...for you!

Ben Stiller had me in stitches as I watched the audience squirm and fidget in an attempt not to show any visual amusement at the fact that he was mocking Joaquin Phoenix's new life choices by rocking a unruly beard, wild hair, shades, and a barely audible pitch. Natalie Portman was good at setting up his jokes, but I just wonder if Joaquin will hold this against any of them. I mean, he could write a rap song about it...and we might actually have to listen...out of pity of course.

I sort of fast-forwarded through some of the presenter speeches that heralded each nominee separately, but I caught a part of Whoopi Goldberg's intro for Amy Adams in Doubt where she alluded to her former role as a nun in Sister Act. I can't believe they dragged Whoopi out of bed for that. lol

I can't remember who introduced Anne Hathaway's role in Rachel Getting Married, but I agree with her, she should keep singing. Hugh Jackman pretended to drag her on the stage to join him in a musical number that described the films nominated for Best Picture and she had to play the role of Nixon. It oddly ended in them getting romantic, but the upside was that she really got to belt it out. Who knew?

I thought it was kind of odd that they invited Cuba Gooding Jr. to introduce Robert Downey Jr.'s character in Tropic Thunder, and even odder that they wanted him to complain about stealing black roles from his people. But Downey seemed truly amused--more amused than when Tim Gunn asked him how it felt to be sleeping with the boss, in reference to his wife being a producer on Sherlock Holmes, while they were on the red carpet. Awkward.

Beyonce--lip-syncing or not--had an incredible performance with Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Amanda Seyfried, and Dominic Cooper, where they mixed together several musical numbers, including ones from High School Musical and Mamma Mia. Even though I thought it was a little odd that HSM was at the Oscars--I mean, I get the appeal, but--I think Hugh Jackman's right, "The musical is back!!" I'm very close to begging someone to fork over triple digits to see Guys and Dolls on Broadway with me and I'm itching to see the Fame remake this year.

Even though the performance of the Slumdog Millionaire theme song was beautifully executed--in spite of John Legend's confusing addition--I really hoped they could bribe M.I.A. to sing her song off the soundtrack while laying in a bed, since she's recovering from giving birth. lol Ridiculous, I know, but it was Slumdog's night. Speaking of which, can I just say that those kids were freaking adorable--one of them even wanted to be introduced to Miley Cyrus. (Honestly, of all the people in the world.) If I were Dev Patel, I would've told them to go up to Angelina Jolie and politely request to be adopted. I'm sure she would've considered it.

The best audience member I have to say was John Mayer. I nearly died laughing when I saw him sitting there next to Jennifer Aniston. Really Jen? You just couldn't go alone or...bring an adult as your date? You just had to bring your boy toy? Reports are saying that she and Angelina were being cordial towards each other, smiling and stuff. These reporters must've forgotten that they're talking about award-winning actresses whose job it is to lie their asses off. Hmm, I wonder if Jen ever won an award, if she'd mention Brad just to piss Angie off. lol I totally would. Then I'd throw it at her. ;)

Oh, and even though I thought Hugh Jackman did a charmingly good job and I appreciate a host who can sing, maybe they could also get one who didn't seem so exhausted the whole time.

BEST DRESSED

No comments:

Post a Comment