Saturday, June 13, 2009

ALBUM REVIEW: Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D."

I first fell in love with the Black Eyed Peas when their third album Monkey Business hit stores in 2005. Rarely do I purchase albums, but that record was a must-have. Four years later, after Fergie's surprising solo success, the BEPs reunite and birth a new sound. Influenced by the Euro clubs, the Peas have dove deep into techno hip hop. The first example of this reincarnation was the hit single, "Boom Boom Pow." I fell in love with it immediately. The beats and the lyrics were ridiculous, and I couldn't wait till it hit iTunes. I wasn't as enthusiastic about their second single, "I Gotta Feeling," which was pretty lame. So naturally, I wondered what the rest of the album would sound like. Techno isn't exactly a mainstream genre, so I was worried their first single would be the only viable track. While I didn't love everything they had to offer, I did like these tracks:

Techno Pop: "Rock That Body"

The first 20 seconds are a little dizzying because of the trance sounds, but once it starts to sample Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock's "I Wanna Rock Right Now," you know you're about to dance your butt off.

Slow Jam Techno: "Alive"

If you're in the mood for a slow jam techno-style, then this track could get you swaying on the dance floor in no time.

Reggae Techno: "Electric City"

Yet another example of will.i.am's impressive production skills. Not to mention, this album proves how malleable Fergie's vocals can be. Ever since I heard her in the upcoming fall musical Nine singing Broadway tunes, I realized that maybe pop music isn't her only forte.

Techno Semi-Salsa: "Showdown"

As party songs go, this aint half bad. It's ill-advised to listen to this at work. You'll be bouncing in your chair like you've been transported to a club. I can see an entire dance routine being constructed for this song.

While Wikipedia does have "Alive" as one of the tracks that's going to be a single, unfortunately, the 80s tinged "Meet Me Half Way" and the repetitive techno hip hop track (that might grow on me) "Imma Be" are the other two slated for release.

No comments:

Post a Comment