Tuesday, October 26, 2010
FILM NEWS: Twilight's Renesmee, Blunt Iron Man 3 Villain?, Bieber in Grease Remake, and more
• Jennifer Garner is about to get dark. She'll star alongside Jeremy Renner in the dramatic thriller Better Living Through Chemistry, where she'll play a trophy wife who introduces prescription drugs as a recreation to a small-town pharmacist, and seduces him into plotting her husband's murder. I knew she had it in her.
• Scarlett Johansson has signed on to do a spin-off of her Black Widow character from Iron Man 2. Hopefully, she won't be as rigid and her hair won't look like plastic.
• In related awesome news, Emily Blunt is in talks to play a villain in the next Iron Man film. In not so awesome news, she just signed on for one of those condescending wedding comedies, and unfortunately it's following the same vein as Bride Wars. In Engagement Games, three sisters participate in their dad's proposed Family Olympics to help him determine who gets to have their mother's wedding ring. You're so much better than this Emily.
• OMG! There's going to be an Emily the Strange movie—and to make that fact even cooler, Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass and Let Me In) is going to play her! "The film will serve as the origin story of the gothic and odd young lady who owns four mysterious cats."
• When did Vincent Kartheiser ("Mad Men") get old enough to play Amanda Seyfried's dad? He's only 31. Well, apparently he will in the untitled sci-fi film formerly named I'm.mortal, also starring Justin Timberlake.
• Justin Bieber wants to star in a Grease remake. The funniest part about this report was when he said: "It's been talked about a lot over the years..." How would he know? *shaking head* Anyway, his choice of Sandy is Miley Cyrus because she can sing, act, and dance. Well...she can sing and act. I personally would prefer seeing Demi Lovato in the lead. She's not as famous, but she can sing better, she's funnier, and she doesn't look like his big slutty sister. If they're planning on doing the exact same film, I dread the accent we'll have to endure from whichever one decides to be the exchange student. Hopefully, they'll lean more towards the High School Musical version: new sweet girl + popular guy, etcetera, etcetera, but add back in the hot-girl makeover and the non-campy frenemy Rizzo. Oooh and drag racing. Oh wait, it's not 1960. Skateboarding tournament? Dance-off? Battle of the bands? Whichever.
• I love Syfy channel's attempts at reimagining classic tales—from The Wizard of Oz ("Tin Man") to Alice in Wonderland ("Alice"), so I'm excited about their latest project, "Neverland," which will be about—you guessed it—Peter Pan. "In this version, Peter is an orphan on the streets of turn-of-the century London who serve as pickpockets for their mentor Jimmy Hook. They snatch a magical treasure and find themselves transported to the magical world of Neverland where various people from different times have found themselves." Charlie Rowe (The Golden Compass) stars as Peter Pan, Rhys Ifans as James Hook, Anna Friel ("Pushing Daisies" and Land of the Lost) as Captain Elizabeth Bonny, Raoul Trujillo ("Tin Man"), and Bob Hoskins as Smee (he played Smee in Steven Spielberg's Hook too). Aww, I hope there's a Rufio!