Thursday, December 23, 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"

According to Wikipedia, this album is about how the world is always trying to change what they don't understand. That's all well and good, but I'm most intrigued by the tracks that sound like he's talking about that big booty, buzz-cut Amazon he use to date and how he raised her from obscurity, and she took him for granted and wanted to be famous on her own.

Exhibit A: "Devil in a New Dress," where he basically says that he thinks he should get sex with lyrics like "I mean a nigga did a lot of waiting / We aint married / but tonight I need some consummation."
Exhibit B: "Blame Game," where he sums up the dissolution of a relationship. At 5:15, he gets Chris Rock to gripe and riff about how ungrateful the girl is despite how much he gave her and taught her.

The other tracks I enjoyed were the ones that had clever lyrics and great collaborations.
"So Appalled" has that Dark Knight feeling, as he rhymes about how a person can die a hero or live long enough to see themself become the villain, which I thought was pretty deep. My favorite lyrics are when he says "If god had an iPod, I'd be on his playlist," because it's classic ego-driven Kanye, and "I keep bitches by the twos—Noah's ark," because it's great wordplay.


"Hell of a Life"
I just like the part where he says "We headed to hell / for heaven sakes / Well, imma levitate / make the devil wait."


"Monster" features Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, & Bon Iver
This track has the best collaboration. I surprisingly didn't enjoy Jay-Z's contribution, but I did love the track's intensity.



"Lost in the World" bleeds into "Who Will Survive in America," a poem written and performed by Amiri Baraka, which caps off the album's theme of how America's claim of being the Land of the Free and a free-thinking nation is straight up bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment