Wednesday, September 13, 2006

ALBUM REVIEW: Danity Kane's Self-Titled Debut Album


I truly, in all honestly, had no great expectations for the third band to be molded by P. Diddy. And I most certainly didn’t like their first single, “Show Stopper.” It was too, shall I say, ghetto fabulous for five girls who barely know what that means. It’s one thing to be a poser, but to not know you’re being one is just pathetic.

However, I recommend six (half) of the songs on the album and there are only two that I just can't bare to listen to. “One Shot” is a metaphorical plea to the public to just give them a chance to prove they’re worthy and a literal request for guys to let them prove their worth. The drums will make you want to step, and the catchy chorus will have you bopping your shoulders. “Heartbreaker” begins with abrupt guitar snippets and background castanet tapping that gets you in the mood for some flamenco then hurls you into an R&B song, where for, perhaps, the fifth time in this album the ladies assert how much guys want them. I’m guessing it’s good for your self esteem to sing along. “Want It” has the same percussion as “One Shot” that starts off slow and then speeds up as the girls start to complain about how frustrating it is to figure out what their man or their enemies want, always facing sluts trying to steal their men. They try their half-hearted rap skills mid-way that I take as a playful tease directed toward their romantic competition and not their attempt to fill the female MC void. “Ride For You” is a song they sang on the reality show beside a piano being played by the writer of the song. It’s a beautiful ballad about supporting your significant other. The vocals are really impressive. “Touch my Body” is a playful, sexy single that sets up a scenario of flirtation that could be cool in the clubs.

But my favorite from the whole self-titled LP is “Hold me Down,” a song that’ll pump you from the clap-intro to the fast-lyrical rhyming about depending on someone for support and knowing that you’re the only one in their heart. My favorite part of the song was actually played on the show. One of the singers had a problem recording the climax of the song and when she finally got it, you really felt the accomplishment along with her. Now I can’t hear the song without feeling just as inspired to plug at something until I get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment