Friday, March 28, 2008

FILM: Worst Comic Book Movies Ever!!


I was flipping through an EW slideshow about the worst comic book movies ever and I noticed they mentioned The Shadow. I vaguely remember watching this film from 1994 where Alec Baldwin plays a 1930s mysterious figure who can become invisible and cloud men's minds and whose evil counterpart is Shiwan Khan, a villain who is using an atomic bomb to hold the world ransom. What really stood out in the slide was the part where Jeff Jensen said: "...Russell Mulcahy (Highlander) was going to be Hollywood's next great action director. Then came The Shadow, an ambitious new take on the old pulp hero that flopped with audiences and critics and effectively dented the movie careers of its headlining talent." Although this may be true, it's fascinating that almost 15 years later, Baldwin is a hit TV star on "30 Rock" and Mulcahy has reemerged as a sequel maker, having directed Resident Evil: Extinction last year and presently wrapping up The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian.

It's hysterical that EW's list includes:
Barbwire, which I remember staring at perplexed when I was 10, thinking "Are those real?"
The Phantom, which my 8th grade class was entranced by when a substitute tried to tame us with it.
Tank Girl: Ok fine! It is. Rather. Stupid. BUT!!! It's still awesome. She is the pinnacle of girl power.
Howard the Duck: I have no recollection of watching this, but I'm sure it was hilarious.

What's the worst comic film you've ever watched?


No comments:

Post a Comment