Thursday, April 24, 2008

VIDEO: Alicia Keys' "Teenage Love Affair"

I've been listening to a lot of Madonna in the last two days, prepping for the release of her new album next Tuesday, and I noticed that she has some amazing cinematographic videos. Then it donned on me that the quality of video plots and direction have gone down in the last decade. I mean, Rihanna won best video at the VMAs for "Umbrella," which was basically her dancing around in the rain. Nowadays all you need is a desert and/or a scene of a sad teenager to express a rock video or colorful backgrounds, a party scene and/or cute outfits for an R&B video.

Then I saw Alicia Keys' video for her latest single "Teenage Love Affair." Not only does it have an actual plot, but it employs dialogue in between lyrics and not just in the intro. It manages to tell an entire story in less than 5 minutes. I think Chris Robinson, who is best known for doing hip hop videos, did a great job. See for yourself:


No comments:

Post a Comment