Saturday, May 02, 2009

VIDEO: Nyle's "Let the Beat Build"

It's not often that I actually pay attention to talent that's presently erupting from my old alma mater NYU. But I was perusing Kanye's website as I normally do, and this time I actually clicked on a music clip and out came Nyle. He's a senior at NYU and possibly the least self-absorbed rapper I've ever heard. lol He shares screen time with more than 20 musicians in this video and the long-take recording is always an appreciated director trick. Oh and my favorite line is when he says: "Dudes acting like they street, when they're barely sidewalk."



NYU Local interviewed him and I love that he said this because I usually hate live performances by rappers:
"So I think my thing is just trying to do live music. It’s what I’m most comfortable with, it’s what I’ve been doing for a long time, and I feel like I’m better at it than most people who just kinda hop on stage with a live band. Because it’s very easy to sound like shit when you rap with a live band even if you’re good at it, it’s very easy to sound like shit. More than anything I’m about that live feel and my favorite, even though I’m a recorded music major, my favorite thing to do is perform and be in front of an audience. My goal isn’t really to sell a million records, it’s to see a million people at my show."
I admire Nyle for his vision. He's in this for the long haul, not a quick buck. Check out his business model and what you can look forward to:

"The plan is changing every day but right now the plan is to release my EP for free digital download in late May or early June. A lot of people are selling their stuff on iTunes and its the digital age but that actual scene, the hip-hop scene, your music has become your calling card. Where for other people their music is their advertisement, it’s really just your business card to open your doors. During the summer I’m going to be slowly releasing videos from my video EP which is gonna be six music videos that combine into a short film which will drop at the end of the summer or halfway through the summer depending on how things catch on."

Click here to read the rest, and if you want to see him live, you're likely to catch him at the Bowery Poetry Club.

P.S. I do not appreciate that NYU Local didn't exist when I was at school. lol I want my five figures back.

No comments:

Post a Comment