Sunday, October 04, 2009

TV Topic: Wentworth Miller's "Acting" on "Law & Order: SVU"


I was super psyched about Wentworth Miller's return to TV. I, much like everyone else, was gravely disappointed by the freefall of Prison Break's ratings. So, naturally, I was excited to hear that he would guest star on the premiere episode of NBC's "Law & Order: SVU."

I'll admit that at first I wasn't sure he could make a believable cop. He's spent so many years playing a con artist and a pacifist that seeing him wear a badge and wield a gun would be kind of weird. Alas, that wasn't the weird part. It was more of what appeared to be his best Clint Eastwood slash Dirty Harry impression. Seriously, seconds into the episode he was speaking with a raspy, sinister voice and threatening a criminal in the backseat of a dark police car. I swear to you, if he could ad lib, he would've said, "You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

As the episode progressed, he man-handled a female drug addict, hit a suspect with his car, threatened to shoot an arsonist if he didn't drop a lighter, and topped the entire thing off with what was possibly murder. I haven't seen any of the "Law & Order" shows in a while, but I didn't realize campy, over-acting was apart of their style. If it is, he did tremendously well. If it isn't, it's possible that "Prison Break" has ruined him forever.

Hopefully, it's the former, because he's set to appear in the next Resident Evil film, subtitled Afterlife opposite Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter.

No comments:

Post a Comment