Tuesday, July 20, 2010

TRAILER: Affleck & Hamm's "The Town"

Plot: As he plans his next job, a longtime thief tries to balance his feelings for a bank manager connected to one of his earlier heists, as well as the FBI agent looking to bring him and his crew down.

Cast: Ben Affleck, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall, and Blake Lively

Verdict: Every time a movie is set in a city that requires an accent, my ears perk up. For this film, almost the entire cast was challenged to deliver a Boston accent. I could say I'm impressed that Ben Affleck has a good one, but he's obsessed with the city, so it technically doesn't count. lol I was more concerned about Jeremy Renner and Blake Lively ("Gossip Girl"), since he has a lot to prove post-Oscar-worthy performance, and she has a lot to prove due to her teen queen status. From what I can tell from the trailer though, it's not as bad as Megan Fox's attempt at a Southern accent in Jonah Hex.

The plot itself reminds me of a modern day Public Enemies, with Jon Hamm as Christian Bale. But instead of having an unapologetic thrill-seeking Johnny Depp trying to score big and bag a beautiful woman, he has a bank robber (Affleck) who falls for his oblivious hostage (Rebecca Hall from Vicky Cristina Barcelona) and a paranoid partner (Renner) who'll do anything to keep her quiet. I'm interested, but I'll probably catch it on DVD.


Release Date: Sept. 10

No comments:

Post a Comment