Sunday, August 15, 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: Sia's "We Are Born"

I've been hearing about Sia for a while now. The 34-year-old Australian dance-pop/soul jazz singer has had minor success in the states, having her song "Little Black Sandals" featured on the ABC series "Private Practice" and most recently working with Christina Aguilera on her album Bionic ("I Am", "All I Need", and "You Lost Me") and on the soundtrack of her feature film debut Burlesque. I knew that she had a soft sound, but I didn't realize she was considered a dance pop singer. So my curiosity led me to listen to her album.

After hearing "Hurting Me Now," I thought she sounded like an upbeat Adele. "Clap Your Hands" is your basic dance song, but "Bring Night" takes it up a notch with an 80s feel:


"Be Good to Me" is where she really stretches her bluesy vocal skills. You get a sense that she has a lot more range than she's letting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment