Thursday, December 30, 2010

MUSIC: Best Albums of 2010

The days of buying entire albums are over, but sometimes you find a record that's actually worth it. Here are my top 5 favorite of the year:




Kings of Leon's Come Around Sundown
This is my new favorite band of the year. Their latest offering dives deeper into the blues genre, with gut-wrenching vocals and melodic intensity. I love most of the songs because of lead singer Caleb Followill's voice. I get lost in its vibrations and fail to even remember to listen to the lyrics.





KT Tunstall's Tiger Suit
After listening to all 11 songs off her new album Tiger Suit, I realized that Ms. Tunstall has got a little more fire in her than she's commercially let on. I'm liking the less bubbly side of KT. There are still plenty of up-tempo tunes on the album, but most of the tracks have a more intense, bluesy, tribal, drum-and-chant driven melody.




Natasha Bedingfield's Strip Me
This British popstar has successfully released a catchy single with every new album, but how she's managed to stay afloat, unlike her brother Daniel, is beyond me. Considering that most music is about sex and vanity, her uplifting, self-esteem boosting, and romantic songs should fall by the wayside. Luckily, this album is chocked full of them and they're as catchy as ever.





Hanson's Shout It Out
This is the first year that I heard an entire Hanson album. I was pleasantly surprised to hear traces of Jonas Brothers, Robin Thicke, Jason Mraz, Michael Buble, Maroon 5, Rob Thomas, and Gavin DeGraw. The boys are definitely grown up, and still incredibly talented.



Bruno Mars's Doo-Wops & Hooligans
I didn't think he had the ability to construct an album that didn't have just one repetitive pop sound. What encouraged me to try it was the album's hilarious first single, an overly dramatic and hyperbolic declaration of love called "Grenade." Intrigued, I conducted a more thorough investigation and discovered an entire library of genres, where he seduced like Robin Thicke, goofed around like the Lonely Planet comedy troupe, and romanced like a lovestruck teenager.



Honorable Mentions: Travie McCoy's break-up album Lazarus and Weezer's anti-establishment, lyrically awesome, rock album Hurley.

No comments:

Post a Comment