Thursday, August 11, 2011

FILM TOPIC: Who Should Star in the Dirty Dancing Remake? (sigh)

Inspired, no doubt, by the remake of Footloose, there are plans to remake Dirty Dancing. I see no point, as I saw no point in remaking Footloose. Neither film's plot work in our day and age. We don't have towns that ban dancing—not quite sure we ever did—and if you saw how 13-year-olds dance today, you wouldn't be shocked to see grown-ass people grinding on each other. However, I must report the rumored casting choices because I'm totally miffed by one of the contenders.
Gossip Girl's Chace Crawford, who was originally in the running for Footloose, is being considered for this film as well. At what point did Crawford bust a move well enough to garner this much consideration? I think the reports of Dancing with the Stars' champion Derek Hough gunning for the role makes far more sense. If anyone can play a dance instructor...it would be a dance instructor. Plus, I like the idea of him starring in this remake while his sister stars in Footloose. Hough vs. Hough! The other reports of Dominic Cooper (Mamma Mia, History Boys, and Captain America) seem misguided. Great singer, but he's yet to prove his dance abilities.
As for the female casting contenders, there are rumors that Lea Michele ("Glee") is a front runner, with Demi Lovato and Miley Cyrus in the ring as well. I'd totally buy Lea as a rigid virgin, but she's repeatedly said in interviews that no matter how much people train her, she STILL can't dance. And let me assure you, even after seeing her street dancing performance on Youtube, Cyrus can't either. And while I'd love to get behind a newly recovered Lovato, it's better they choose someone older so that preteens don't see her dry hump some dude on the dance floor. So my vote is actually for Jenna Dewan, Channing Tatum's wife, who has proven she has some serious skills in both Step Up and Take the Lead. And if they want to consider someone who is known for her docile demeanor, I'd suggest girls like America Ferrera or Alexis Bledel.


No comments:

Post a Comment