Monday, December 12, 2011

CRUSHWORTHY: Mike Vogel from "Pan Am"

This year has blessed us with some seriously crushworthy guys. So to countdown the 25 days until Christmas, each day I'll put a spotlight on one actor we wish we could catch under the mistletoe. In this case, Santa rewards the naughty and nice.

{DAY 12} 
The Time Traveler // Mike Vogel
I had my doubts about Vogel from the start—and I'm not just talking about his latest role on ABC's "Pan Am," where he replaced an actor from the pilot. I didn't like him in the skateboard indie Grind in '03 or as "the hot soccer coach" in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants in '05, or even as an unsupportive best friend in 2010's She's Out of My League. It wasn't until this year that he finally started to grow on me. Turns out he was born in the wrong decade.

Despite his modern looks and habitual slacker roles, Vogel was born to play system-bucking gentlemen from a different decade. I got my first peek of his new-found self-confidence in this summer's adaptation of The Help. He had less than five minutes of screen time, but in it, the 32-year-old actor seemed reformed.

Landing the lead on "Pan Am" clinched it though. It was there that he finally got to show what he was capable of. That he could play the lover and the fighter, and not just a two-dimensional dud. That he could be a leading man. In a new era, Vogel's body language changes and he evolves into a daredevil charmer who fights as hard for his beliefs as he does for his lady. He almost makes you wish you could go back in time.

1 comment:

  1. He's excellent in Blue Valentine as well. Hope he graduates to more screen time, because rewinding to see the few minutes he's on screen gets annoying! :)

    ReplyDelete