Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FILM: "Valentine's Day" Sequel, Captain America Casting, Razzie Nominees,

• There are already plans for a Valentine's Day sequel. Actually, they hope to get most of the actors to return, but what will really be duplicated/continued is the format. It's been dubbed New Year's Eve. Of course, the blogs have runaway with jokes of how they could pretty much make a series of these films: Fourth of July, St. Patricks' Day, April Fool's Day, etc., while steering clear of the obvious film titles that might confuse moviegoers, like Halloween and Groundhog's Day. I am actually a huge fan of anthology/vignette-style films. I loved He's Just Not That Into You, New York, I Love You and Love Actually, and appreciated most of Paris je t'aime, so this doesn't irk me one bit. But when they make it seem like Hollywood is just a factory that churns out the same product with a different name or a different color, it's a bit insulting. Hollywood is supposed to be--emphasis on supposed to--the Mecca of creativity. Don't sell me your knock-offs.

• I think now that Cameron Diaz is approaching 40, she's decided that it's time to shelve the sweet girl act. She has two films lined up where she's not exactly playing the girl-next-door or even the girl-you-wish-lived-next-door. First up is Bobbie Sue, a comedy she's rumored to be attached to, where she plays a law firm's top ambulance chaser who is ordered to represent their powerful client in his sexual discrimination case. Oooh can't wait to see who they cast as the lecherous misogynist. I think Gerard Butler would be too obvious after The Ugly Truth. Maybe she can re-team with Jude Law. His acting in the remake of Alfie proves he can play lascivious and sexy simultaneously--not to mention his real life. She's most recently been cast in Bad Teacher, where she'll play "a foul-mouthed, conniving middle school teacher who romantically pursues a fellow teacher when her sugar daddy cuts her off." I think I'm going to like this new phase of her career.

• I had no idea anyone thought that anyone on "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" could actually act. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Why would Shailene Woodley, who plays Amy, get a chance at playing George Clooney's daughter, if Twilight's Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air) proved to be a find? I'm afraid she's set a dangerous precedent. In The Descendants, a drama based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings, an attorney (Clooney) is forced to get closer to his daughters after a family tragedy. She'll play the oldest sibling and the female lead. Who knows? Maybe she'll get a Golden Globes nod too.

Ryan McPartlin (Captain Awesome on "Chuck") and Chad Michael Murray ("One Tree Hill") tested for Captain America, but the studio behind the adaptation is also testing fresh faces. I'm all for a fresh face. I know that casting Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) was a bust, but for every Robert Downey Jr., there's a Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass), and for every Routh, there's a Halle Berry (Catwoman). Here's the scoop on what the hero will look like according to Dark Horizons: "Rogers is initially forced to become a propaganda symbol at USO shows where he wears the costume (made out of the US flag) and hates it. Later on in the film he "reclaims some of its imagery". Initial costume will be very much like the Jack Kirby version in the comic. Secondary costume will be less gratuitously patriotic - 'more like a traditional set of fatigues, with lots of straps and buckles.'" So then, a soldier? Hmm, sounds like White House-comissioned propaganda to me.


• While I agree that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen wasn't better than the original, I hardly think it deserves to be nominated alongside G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Pink Panther 2, Land of the Lost, Old Dogs and All About Steve for a Razzie. That just screams publicity stunt, especially with films like Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li and The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard going unnoticed.

• I have a confession to make. I can't see in 3D. It's a well-known and proven medical condition. I, otherwise, have perfect sight. However, all this talk about the 3D trend is killing me. The more the studios start 3-dimensionalizing every action film, the less I'm likely to be able to enjoy it. Fingers crossed that they won't do away with those 2-D picture shows, otherwise I might miss out on the Transformers and Avatar sequels of the future. Toes crossed that they don't continue to veer into other genres. The Grammy's had the audacity to show the Michael Jackson tribute in 3D. Fine, whatever, it was a tribute. But I don't need to see sex scenes in 3D, soooo please refrain from translating romances and comedies into that format…before we all go blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment